Introducing Rovius Cloud: The Hybrid Cloud Platform for Enterprises
Over the past several years, enterprises have undertaken various initiatives to build and operate private clouds in an attempt to bring the agility and ease-of-use experience of a public cloud to in-house infrastructure. Unfortunately, many of those efforts have failed — primarily because of four reasons:
- Complexity – the technology available to build private clouds is extremely complex.
- Operations – cloud operations require deep expertise (which is not easily available) and the cost of operations tends to spiral out of control.
- Public cloud federations – no enterprise is interested in a private cloud which will not allow federations and movement of workloads across the private and public cloud.
- And finally, DR strategy – setting up disaster recovery at a reasonable cost.
Additionally, current private cloud technologies have very high TCO, which increases the cost per virtual machine (VM) by 1000x, compared to public clouds.
To solve these issues, Accelerite’s Rovius Cloud provides an integrated fully hybrid cloud stack to make it simple for enterprises to run private clouds, at a reasonable cost of ownership.
Rovius Cloud features
Rovius Cloud is a fully managed and integrated stack to build a hybrid cloud with powerful features, including:
- Integrated compute, storage and virtualization management. All components are tightly integrated and seamlessly managed, eliminating the need for integrating point products.
- Powerful Ops Manager to architect, deploy and operate a private cloud. No need for external monitoring and management products. Ops Manager provides capabilities for monitoring the control plane, alerts and event management, log analytics, capacity planning, and automated upgrades and patching mechanisms.
- Federation with global public clouds such as Amazon AWS (Microsoft Azure Cloud and Google Cloud Platform coming soon). Federation with public clouds provides the capability to move workloads back and forth between the on-premise and public clouds as needed. Use a public cloud as a DR site or as a temporary resource set while additional capacity can be provisioned on the private clouds.
- Software-defined storage. The integrated SDS solution provides the most economical storage subsystem. Hybrid storage supports the capability to allocate storage volumes based on the workload requirements.
Flexibility and choice
Delivered as a software stack, Rovius Cloud provides the flexibility to use any existing hardware, compute servers, and storage from vendors such as HP, Dell, Lenovo and Supermicro. Accelerite can certify and validate the new hardware.
Batteries included, with option to swap out
Rovius Cloud has an integrated compute orchestration, software-defined storage and hypervisor integration. An integrated solution provides ease of use, a much lower time to value, and lower cost of operations since all subsystems can be managed by a single Ops Manager.
For the enterprises that prefer to leverage existing hardware, storage, and virtualization such as VMware, Rovius Cloud offers the capability to stack and configure the blueprints to architect a cloud with existing infrastructure. Rovius Cloud has no penalty and makes it extremely easy to use most common storage systems, including NetApp, SolidFire, EMC, Hitachi and others. Since most of the popular brands are already pre-certified with Rovius Cloud, its pluggable architecture makes it easy to integrate new storage systems. Similarly, the virtualization included with Rovius Cloud can be swapped out in favor of existing VMware, XenServer, Hyper 0V or Linux Kernel-based VM (KVM) clusters and easily deployed.
Fully managed cloud
Rovius Cloud Ops Manager simplifies the operations from Day 0 to Day 2, thereby lowering the cost of operations compared to competitive solutions by 70%. Rovius Cloud ships with Ops Manager, which can be deployed adjacent to the Rovius Cloud control plane, and provides:
- Health checks for the entire cloud stack.
- Monitoring performance metrics and capacity management.
- Log analysis, with collated logs and analytics for security, compliance audits and debugging.
- Alerts and event management.
- Upgrades and patch delivery.
- Scaling operations.
- Single consolidated view of compute, storage and virtualization operations.
Rovius Cloud Ops Manager is offered as a Cloud Service, giving enterprises the option to use a hosted multi-tenant service. Depending on the cloud architecture, the number of availability zones, and other factors, it is easier and more cost effective to monitor zones by registering them with Cloud Service. Rovius Clouds can be registered and managed on-demand.
Better than hyper convergence
The diagram below demonstrates the superior flexibility and scalability Rovius Cloud provides — at a lower cost compared to hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI).
Better than managed OpenStack clouds
Accelerite provides fully managed service for operating Rovius Cloud on-premise clouds. The key with Rovius Cloud managed services, as compared to other solutions, is that the Rovius Cloud control plane resides on-premise inside the enterprise data center. Some managed services providers host the control plane outside of the enterprise data center, which presents challenges in synchronizing the state of infrastructure with the control plane across low latency internet connections. The Rovius Cloud managed cloud architecture eliminates any middleman gateways and the need for synchronization of infrastructure status across the internet, as well as the possibility of man-in-the middle attacks. Read some cloud management resolution here.